Children in our Nursery class spend their days exploring, sharing, and learning. Our goal is to help your child develop his or her independence and confidence in a setting that encourages a sense of community. We do this by helping your child to adapt to routines and rituals; increase their language ability; practice early coping skills; and learn to cooperate with friends through group activities. Students begin to take on greater physical challenges and begin to communicate more effectively with others. The program also includes structured learning activities that touch on early literacy, math, science, and social studies. We balance subjects with opportunities for independent exploration and a healthy dose of fun! Additional components of the Nursery program include music, yoga/movement, and visual art.
Social Emotional Development Goals include:
1. Self Direction: Follow rules, routines, and directions; Maintain attention; Adapt to transitions.
2. Self Concept: Identify positive and negative feelings; Self regulate; Express preferences; Take responsibility.
3. Social Relationships: Build positive relationships; Cooperate; Work on teams; Show compassion for others; Communicate wants and needs to others.
Physical Development Goals include:
1. Fine Motor: Control small movements; Use drawing and writing tools; Use lacing, snaps, and buttons.
2.Gross Motor: Coordinate large movements; Build strength; Develop balance; Alternate feet on stairs.
3. Safety and Health: Make wise nutritional decisions; Exercise; Practice good hygiene
Literacy and Language Development Goals include:
1. Listening comprehension: Comprehend spoken language; Follow verbal directions.
2. Communication: Communicate ideas, needs, and wants; Speak in sentences.
3. Phonological awareness: Identify small units of sound; Identify rhyme and alliteration.
4. Concepts of print: Work on writing their name
5. Letter and word recognition: Identify letters and words; Makes letter-sound connections.
6. Reading comprehension: Respond to text; Recall of story details; Answer and ask questions.
Mathematics and Reasoning Skills Goals include:
1. Number concepts: Identify numbers; Counting; Counting sets; Counting to identify quantity; Understanding options.
2. Shapes: Identifying shapes; Manipulating shapes to make larger shapes.
3. Spatial awareness: Ability to flip and rotate objects; Ability to determine object locations.
4. Patterns and Sorting: Identify patterns; Create patterns; Match; Sort; Understand Charts.
Social Studies and Skills Goals include:
1. Families and Community: Identify community roles; Identify family roles; Explore different cultures and traditions; Understand diversity.
2. Geography: Introduction to maps; Identify types of places; Identify where we live on the map; Connect to our roots.
3. History: Describe past events.
Science Goals include:
1. Scientific reasoning: Where do things come from?
2. Life science: What things do we need to grow?
3. Physical science: What are our five senses?
4. Earth science: What is the weather today?